Vi bruger cookies til at gøre din oplevelse bedre. For at overholde den nye e-databeskyttelseslovgivning, er vi nødt til at bede om dit samtykke til at indstille cookies. Få flere oplysninger .
Mamans Do-Piaze: Mums Potato & Onin stew
Do-piaze is one of my favourite dishes of all time made by my beautiful mother, Pari. It is enjoyed best with home-made pickles, yoghurt and a fresh seasonal salad. This time I have used flower sprouts as a side salad with fresh cumin yoghurt.
This dish can also be enjoyed with a boiled egg, minced beef or Merguez sausage.
By Sanaz Zardosht @sanazzardosht
A meal for two as a main dish and four as a side dish
White onion 900g, peeled & thinly sliced
Potato 800g, peeled & cut into cubes
Turmeric 2 tsp
Curry powder, 1 tsp
Cumin powder, 1 tsp
Tomato puree, 3 tsp
Fresh chilli 7g, thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt 1 tbsp
Black pepper, 1 tsp
Flower sprouts, a handful
Yoghurt 4 tbsp
2 Red onion, peeled & thinly sliced
1 tbsp of salt
1. To make the red onion relish for the garnish, mix in the red onion with
salt, juice of 1 lemon & gently massage. Cover and keep in the fridge.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-size non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the white onions and
saute for about 20 minutes until golden.
3. Add the spices & more oil to stop the onions catching to the bottom of the pan. Keep
stirring every now and then.
4. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a saucepan & cover with cold water to boil. This
should take around 15 minutes. Drain and keep the potatoes to one side.
5. Add the potatos, fresh chilli, 1 tablespoon of fine salt to the onions & stir. Mix in the
lemon & the tomato purée in 200ml of boiling water and pour over the potatoes and
onion mix. Stir & turn the heat down for a further 20 minutes.
6. To make the side salad, heat the olive oil then add the sprouts, a pinch of salt,
squeeze of 1⁄2 a lemon & stir. This takes around 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat and
add to a bowl. Mix the cumin with the yoghurt for the garnish and pour over the
7. To serve, garnish the do-piaze with red onion relish, coriander or any other herb of
your choice, (dill or parsley).
Bon Appetit (Noshe-jan)